Could we change our attitude, we should not only see life differently, but life itself would come to be different. ~ Katherine Mansfield

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Domestic bliss

For some reason, I find it embarrassing that I love being home and having an adequate amount of time to devote to my kids, to my house, to cooking...to learning how to sew. Yes, I am learning to sew. And since I am naturally detail-oriented (possibly to the point of crippling perfectionism), I am finding myself to be pretty good at it. Who'd a thunk?

The biggest thing that I love is having a tangible accomplishment at the end of the day. I can stand in front of the newly uncluttered pantry and just stare at it. I actually open it a few times during the day and it gives me a sense of peace. We bought a new bedding set and it has so transformed our bedroom that making the bed is actually a joy. Not an overstatement there - I love the beauty and order of it. And a well-cooked dinner, created by me while Aidan watches from his bouncy seat as his wacko mama sears meat and dances to The Tallest Man on Earth to make him laugh, feels like a tiny miracle.

More than anything, I love that I can end a day without tomorrow's never-ending To Do list hanging over my head. Sufficient for the day is its own worries. And if I don't accomplish anything other than playing with the boys, which is what happened yesterday, I can rest assured that my day was full since I spent it raising these two amazing children that I happened to have made from scratch.

I do not dismiss my former life...I just don't really miss it.

1 comment:

Eryn said...

I concur! What a beautiful sentiment. Thanks for posting.

Post a Comment

Join the conversation - we love to hear from you! Please keep it civil and own your words as anonymous comments won't be posted.